There are plenty of creative ways to get and stay fit without setting foot into a gym. Here are some suggestions for fitness and fun without the work out:
- Take a daily walk. Including a 30 minute walk into your fitness plan is quite easy. You can decide to walk 15 minutes after lunch and 15 minutes after dinner to help digest your food. If safe and possible, you can exit the bus or tram before your stop and walk a little further to your destination. If you want to increase the intensity of your walk without adding time, try speed walking or adding hand/leg weights.
- Go Dancing. A night tearing up the dance floor is an easy and fun way to burn calories and increase cardiovascular health.
- Garden and take care of your lawn. Using a push mower, pulling up weeds, raking leaves, spreading mulch is all pretty labor intensive and requires consistent efforts. If you don’t have any land to work on, you can always volunteer with one of Portland’s many community gardens or with Parks and Rec.
- Don’t just sit through commercials. Get up and walk up and down the stairs a few times, do a few sit ups or push ups, do the dishes.
- Keep a clean house. Quiet as kept, house work can help you stay fit. Cleaning your house thoroughly each week will tone your abdominal muscles, lower back, arms and legs. Not to mention, a clean home is a happy healthy home.
Fitness does not have to come from a gym. It is a natural result of living an active full life.
What are some of your tricks and tips for staying healthy without a gym membership.